Digital Eye Strain
Also know as Computer Vision Syndrome
Digital Eye Strain (also known as Computer Vision Syndrome) is caused by starring at screens for a long time. It could be any digital device like phoe, tablet or a TV. The symptoms of Digital Eye Strain include:
- Eye fatigue / tired eyes
- Eye discomfort
- Dry eyes / itchy eyes / irritated eyes
- Blurry vision / double vision
- Neck pain / shoulder pain / back pain
Root cause of Digital Eye Strain
The two most important causes that alleviate Digital Eye Strain are Blue light and glare from screens.
- Glare is unnecessary reflections and feedback that come in from screens and other sources like incoming traffic. It makes it hard to see clearly and causes headaches and eye strain.
- Blue light is exists just beside UV rays in the light spectrum and is harmful to your eyes. It causes eye strain and affects your sleep cycle.
What can you do about Digital Eye Strain?
1. This is the best thing you can do when your eyes are strained. Every 20 mins look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Highly recommended by Ophtalmologists!
2. One of the most effective things you can do is use computer glasses which have anti-reflective coating and blue light filter. You are protected from glare and harmful high energy rays from the screens.
3. Eye drops: We forget to blink for a long time while looking at screens. This causes dryness which can cause Digital Eye Strain.
4. Regular eye exams: Make sure you get your eyes checked every year to see if they are healthy and update your prescriptions.
5. Workstation: Your work station matters a lot for your health. The distance from the screen should be ergonomic meaning it shouldn't be too far nor too close.